Medical

* Saint Joseph Hospital – Dora
Raymond and Aida Najjar Medical Center
In 1948, Abouna Yaacoub established in the region of Dora a small home for homeless, marginalized people and for the abandoned elderly. In 1952, he saw the necessity to ensure medical care for them and for the inhabitants of the neighborhood. So he called some young doctors to help him and transformed the home into a small hospital that started expanding day after day, until it became one of the major health institutions in Lebanon. In spite of the destructive effects of the war, the hospital continued to function and resisted for the sake of man and the mission it holds in a wounded and suffering country.
Providence intervened again in the projects of the Man of Providence, Abouna yaacoub. It is the Providence who sent Mr. Raymond Najjar with his wife Aida to the hospital to build the highly technical and well equipped Raymond and Aida Najjar Medical Center. The old hospital was destroyed to be replaced by a triangle composed of:
-          Raymond and Aida Najjar Medical Center
-          Medical Department
-          Technical Department
The Medical Center is composed of four floors.
The 200-bed hospital is composed of eight floors with six floors built by the Sisters of the Cross and the first floor, that includes gynecology and obstetrics, was financed by Mr. Raymond Najjar in memory of his late parents Iskandar and Minerva Najjar. While the building and equipment in the second floor, which comprises the cardiology and cardio surgery section, were financed, by Mrs. Aida Naffah Najjar, in memory of her late parents Gergi and Melvina Naffah.
It was inaugurated on June, 27, 2003, with the sponsorship and the presence of His Eminence the Patriarch Cardinal Mar Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir.
The hospital receives medical and nursing students from the Université Saint-Joseph and other universities for training. On October, 22, 2002, the hospital signed a partnership convention with the Saint Joseph Hospital in Paris in order to exchange expertise and develop medical and technical continuous training.
The hospital is bound to apply the Lebanese Law and medical deontology along with its staff, by virtue of the Vatican Charter for the health pastorate. It meets all international standards and norms of the accreditation program of the hospital institutions decided by the Lebanese Ministry of Health.
For more information: www.hopital-stjoseph.com, www.centremedical-ranajjar.com